Beets & Coconut Soup
Enjoy this delicious and nutritious soup as we are approaching colders days of winter.beets and coconut both have very antiinflamatory properties which is also a remedy of achy joints. (Serves 4)
3 large beets; peeled and cut into 1″ chunks
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
4 cups vegetable stock
1 can coconut milk (approx. 400 ml)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for five minutes. Add ginger and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add vegetable stock and beets and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and let simmer for approx. 20-30 minutes, or until beets are tender.
- Using a handheld blender, purée the soup.
- Add coconut milk, salt and pepper and stir.
- Serve in bowls, and garnish with toasted shredded coconut.
- Enjoy with kamut or whole grain bread.